Thursday, April 7, 2011

Experience with Race in College

This week in class was dedicated to the topic of race. Race is something that growing up was not much of an issue for me. I have always tried to never be prejudice or racist towards any other person. Diversity of different races was something that in West Virginia is not often seen. At my high school I don't think that there was more than twenty students that were not white out of some nine-hundred students. Also out of fifty or so teachers there was only two or three that were not white.

It was not until I got to college that I was introduced to many different cultures and races that I previously had no experience with. As a matter of fact, my very first college course was taught by a man from India. In some of my courses I take now, almost half the class is from either a different state or country. Of course Fairmont State University isn't the most diverse setting either. In fact, compared to WVU it is a very small diverse community. At any rate, it is a step up for me, and I embrace it wholeheartedly. I have gained many friendships with people of different race in the past four years, and these are friendships that will last a lifetime. In the end I realized that people of different color and backround are still just people, and while unique in their own ways, are in most cases very similar to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment