Monday, March 7, 2011

Mid Term

Tonight in Race, Class, & Gender we had our Mid Term. At the midway point in this semester, I must say I did not expect this class to be as informative and complex as it is. It is a lot of work, but nothing to difficult. As long as you come to class and do the homework asigned it isn't so bad. The Mid Term exam was interesting. It was not your normal bubble sheet multiple choice set up. This test was broken into two parts. The first part was a written exam consisting of like ten or so question dealing with social stratification and gender. It had scenarios that dealt with gender identity/performance, social theories, and definition to common terms discussed in class. It gave a few bonus questions to help out. The questions were pretty difficult if you didn't know the material and understand what was being asked of. I think that I may have missed a question on the front part of the test dealing with a boy named Dom being lead through schooling and life by his parents and elders. I think after going back though the material that the answer was contest/sponsorship theories. I chose the elite theory thinking that because he was helped by a "elite" group of people, meaning wealthy and intelligent, that this would be correct. I guess i'll find out when we get our tests back after spring break.

For the second part of the test, we had to watch an episode of NCIS and write down all the instances of class and gender.  The episode dealt with a homicide and the NCIS team trying to find who committed the murder. It had many twists in the plot, and for the most part, picking out class and gender wasn't that bad. I think I had about ten answers for both and overall had a much easier time with this part of the test than the other.

All in all, the midterm was interesting and unique. It made you think about what has been discussed in class and also use your context clues when understanding the material. I hope that I did alright on it, and I am looking forward to what our teacher has in store for the final.

No comments:

Post a Comment